Sunday, April 29, 2012

Unnamed Story: Issue Four

Thus enters one of the characters that is by far my favorite when it comes to all the things I have written EVER.

Enjoy, and feel free to critique!
***********************************************************************************

The weeks following were not entirely too eventful. The funeral mass was said, and my mama was put in the ground, never more to captivate me with her tales of princesses and wicked stepmothers. I played as I usually did, with the other noble children, as well as those down in the towns. There was much talk about what was to become of me. Many thought, and many more wished, that I would be sent back to where I came from. The local magistrate put an end to all this, when he called a small audience to come together in order to discuss my mother's will. 

This audience came together in the king's court, and present there was only The King, Queen, a tall dark haired man I did not recognize, and myself. The presence of the very heights of royalty disturbed me somewhat; the dark haired gentlemen ever so much more. He was of a pale complexion, with raven black hair and a menacing beard, and cold brown eyes. As if those eyes were not enough to make me shiver in my shoes, the black clothes he was garbed in frightened me even more. Before I could reflect more the magistrate began to explain my mother's will. 

The King, Ferdinand, would be my guardian, and have full rights to my education, watch my mother's estates, and give consent to my marriage. 

The mysterious gentleman's identity became known to me then. His name was Dante, after the great Florentine poet, and his sister had been my mother. One factor perhaps that I did not notice before was how very young he was. My mother was his senior by 22 years and he had been sent to school 8 years ago at the age of 12. His education had just ended, however, and he was on his returning journey when he learned of his sister's death. He had heard of my existence, before he left, but did not give a hoot about me. 

So today was the first time we met, and when it was over I hoped it was the last time. The magistrate began to explain to us the finer details of my mother's will. As my dear Uncle, as I came to sarcastically call him, was the youngest gentleman of his family he consequently had inherited nothing. I suppose my mother took pity on him, for she left him half her estate, the other half she left to me. 

Dante resented this, however. For the remainder of the evening when we were back at the manor he insisted upon calling me 'child' and treating me as if I were no more than five. Right away I realized that our existence together was going to be unbearable. 

Luckily, and to the benefit of both of us, the King sent a letter with news that I was being sent away to a school for young ladies, and that Dante was invited to the caste court to serve as tutor to the King's children. 
As it happened, our last three days together were so full of preparations that we did not even have the happy chance to interact with each other. I do not think fate could have smiled upon us more warmly! 

*********************************************************************************If I ever make anything of it, of course this tale will need a lot of ...work( oh copious amounts!)  I think it is a start however. 
What say you about Dante?

No comments:

Post a Comment